Benefits of Using CFD for Fire Protection Design
Fires are unpredictable. Computational fluid dynamics (CFD) is an analytical tool that predicts or calculates fluid flows and can be used by fire design service providers to help design an effective fire protection system considering the pressure, velocity, temperature, density and viscosity of fluids. These are the benefits of using CFD simulations:
- Help optimise HVAC systems for fire safety and smoke management
- Monitor CO levels under normal conditions
- Plot the magnitude, velocity and direction of air flows, helping predict how fires can spread from any space
- Decide how to lower CO concentration levels in enclosed spaces, such as underground parking lots.
- Calculate the quantities of required supply and exhaust air to provide a smoke control system that is code compliant
- Design public spaces with easy and safe egress, in case of fire
- Show the effects of sprinklers on fires
CFD makes predictive models of fire protection applications more accurate, and CFD simulations can help fire design service providers view the performance of smoke management and general visibility in case of fire.
XS CAD has valuable experience providing CFD modelling and CFD simulations, 2D CAD drawings, BIM modelling services, MEP engineering design and drafting services for global building engineering firms. Our range of services for fire protection design engineers include fire protection design, HVAC design services, MEP drafting, public health system drafting and building services coordination using Revit, Navisworks, AutoCAD, BIM Collaborate Pro, etc.