How Detailed Should Retail Construction Drawings Be?
Competing in an environment where everything needs to be perfect is nothing new for retailers. That includes adhering to the rules and regulations of building authorities, and the details included in retail construction drawings can clearly demonstrate compliance of building zone requirements. Construction drawings can also show details of assembly and the junctions between components and many other construction details.
So, what construction drawings are typically used in a retail project?
- Site Layout Plan
- Floor Plan
- Section Drawing
- Structural Drawings
- Working Drawings
- Foundation Plan
- Column Layout Drawings
- Plinth Beam Layout Drawings
- Flooring Details Drawings
- Doors & Windows Frame Details
- Column, Beam and Slab Reinforcement Details
- Staircase Layout and Reinforcement Details
- Plumbing Layout Drawings
- Electrical Layout Drawings
- Finishing Drawings
What kind of details do they include?
Site Layout Plan
A large, scaled drawing of the proposed retail building, the site layout plan includes all building details, its size and shape. The architect can use it to know about existing site features for improved planning or demolition, if required. It helps locate every building on an expansive site.
Details in a Site Plan
- Site boundary, details of surrounding properties/structures
- Building position with respect to its surroundings
- Location details of trees and the main landscape elements
- Parking area locations, capacity, traffic flows, signage
- Roads, footpaths, ramps, paved areas, etc.
Marking the position of different components and their dimensions in a room, floor plans include the location and position of the shelving, check-out, changing rooms and back-office area of the retail space, which are important for a site engineer to know and to determine furniture and appliance purchases.
When the elevation of a building interior is virtually cut in a vertical plane, it results in a section drawing, which is necessary to get details of the inside components, especially the heights of shelving, furniture and wall graphics.
- Structural engineers consult architectural drawings to create a structural drawing, which depicts the load-carrying members of a structure, includes the size and types of materials to be used and details for connections.
- Structural drawings describe the building’s structural design for the building authority to review.
- They also include contract documents, which help contractors in detailing, fabricating and installing parts of the structure.
- Working drawings are needed to execute work on the site.
- They guide site engineers on the design.
- Types of working drawings include the floor plan with dimensions, foundation plan, details of flooring, etc.
Foundation Layout Plan
This plan has the following details of the building’s foundation:
- Foundation Layout
- Type, size and shape of the foundation
- Dimension and distance between each element
- Centre line of building and component
- Details of PCC and excavation work
Column Layout Drawings
These drawings include the details of column size, shape, location and dimensions. It shows each column with its identification numbers, helping site engineers locate where to install columns on site.
Plinth Beam Layout Drawings
These drawings include the details of the plinth beam position, layout, size and also have reinforcement details.
Flooring Details Drawings
These drawings show the details of flooring size, thickness, types of material, types of flooring and flooring base material.
Doors & Windows Frame Details Plan
This plan shows the position of the door and windows in the wall, the height of windows, frame position while fixing the door and window and the schedule of the openings for doors and windows.
Column, Beam and Slab Reinforcement Details
- Showing details of construction columns, beams and slabs, this drawing also shows the reinforcement, cover and formwork details.
- It helps the site engineer calculate the diameter of steel and spacing of steel reinforcement to be used for columns, beams and the foundation.
- It shows the centre-to-centre distance between column and beam, which helps the proper positioning of structural components.
Staircase Layout and Reinforcement Details
Details shown in this drawing include the stair layout and dimensions, stair length, width, size of landing, number of risers, number of treads, details of reinforcement, angle to stair flight and cover to be used.
Plumbing Layout Drawings
These drawings show the layout of different types of pipes running through the establishment to supply water to various outlets, and the details included are:
- Size of pipe
- Material of pipe
- Position of sanitary fitting
- Outlet point location
Electrical Layout Drawings
These drawings show the exact location of various electrical fixtures, such as switch boards, light points, fan points, ceiling points with wiring diagrams and:
- Lighting Layout
- Switchgear Layout
- Generator and other equipment Layout
- Earthing Layout
- Lightning protection system Layout
- Cable Layout
- Conduit Layout
- Cable tray Layout
- Area classification Layout – for hazardous areas
Details of the final finish of each component, such as flooring pattern, painting color, false ceiling shape, plastering texture and elevation design are included in these drawings.
As can be seen, each of the construction drawings has a major role to play in the planning and communicating retail store building design. They must be prepared according to the requirements and importance of project work, keeping strictly to the rules and regulations of building authorities.
For some retailers and some retail spaces, there may be a limited number of technical drawings, but for large retail projects, all the retail design drawings are essential for improved accuracy and reduced errors during construction. Trusted retail design companies can deliver accurate and detailed retail 2D drafting and retail modelling and rendering as part of extensive retail BIM services to ease the load of retailers, as these are crucial documents in the process of retail store building design.
XS CAD has valuable experience providing retail design drawings and 3D rendered images for large global retailers and retail design companies. Our range of services include retail space planning, retail construction drawings, retail BIM modelling, retail 2D drafting, retail 3D rendering and and retail architectural drawings. We have proven to be a preferred retail BIM services provider, due to the high quality of our retail construction drawings and, retail rendered images, created by using Revit, 3ds Max, V-Ray, Adobe Photoshop and After Effects, Illustrator and BIM Collaboration Pro for cloud collaboration.