28 May 2020
Supporting Retail Concept Design with Drafting, Modelling & Rendering
Ideas, or concepts, rule the roost in retail design. In a design industry that can heavily influence sales, it is crucial to communicate concepts accurately and efficiently. High-quality 3D architectural visualisation services and retail design drawings can help support conceptual planning and the precise construction of retail spaces. Design support services, such as rendering, drafting and 3D BIM modelling, improve accuracy and provide clear visual representations of design concepts.
But first, how do we determine what factors constitute retail concept design?
Adaptive retailers integrate technology into the overall shopping experience, helping people get off the computer and back into stores.
- Installing interactive screens in dressing rooms helps shoppers communicate more easily with clerks, find available colours and out-of-stock items and look for matching garments and accessories.
- Mobile point-of-sale systems provide a safe alternative to the traditional check-out
- Products that are compatible can be displayed in ‘experience zones’
- Even though staffed counters may need to be reduced and certain items may only be available online, customers can be exposed to related items, depending on the effectiveness of retail design.
Successful integrated technologies must be focused on improving the overall shopping experience, though.
Renovation can be the solution for retail spaces that suffer from low traffic, high vacancy levels and dull décor.
- Though well-located, certain retail spaces may be underperforming properties in need of major renovations.
- One option is to introduce dining, entertainment and other options, giving the shopper more reasons to visit and linger there.
- Lighter, brighter flooring, LED lighting, and neutral colours help attract customers.
- Renovations may also include daylighting, fresh graphics and food outlets with a street vibe.
Attractive Retail Spaces
It’s important to concentrate on outdoor spaces and entertainment options. Helping attract customers and keep them around longer.
- Flower beds, a courtyard or a new statue can quickly and effectively improve interiors.
- Other attractions include open-air spaces and exposed-view corridors reminiscent of old-fashioned street markets in retail spaces.
- The expanse of a green roof can also draw customers in.
Sustainable construction appeals to environment-conscious consumers, who are on the rise.
- Brands committed to environmental causes are becoming more popular.
- The catchphrase ‘net-zero greenhouse gas emissions’ is something savvy consumers are aware of and seek out.
- Sustainable retail environments reduce overheads, risks, provide a rallying point for communities, increase consumer loyalty, offer increasingly flexible settings, reduce impact on the environment and increase profits.
Luxury & Affordability
A delicate balance must be maintained to market merchandise as luxury items while ensuring that they fall on the right side of affordability. Bright, interesting graphics and fine art make spaces exciting and unique.
- The increasing popularity of online shopping means retail spaces may reallocate and reduce square footage.
- Customer experience must be designed to be more engaging and inspiring.
- Hard-hitting environmental graphics and fine art help make retail spaces more special, adding minute details, a narrative and authenticity.
An Attitude of Flexibility
Spacious dressing rooms and an Instagram wall for sharing real-time images can be used by shoppers, keeping retail spaces fresh and happening.
These retail concepts can be incorporated into retail design using drafting, modelling and rendering within the BIM environment for great effect. How?
- Computer-generated images or renders can be understood easily, making them effective for communicating retail design intent.
- Spatial constraints can be represented accurately in drafting, modelling and rendered images.
- The nature of the BIM process improves accuracy in architectural drafting and modelling. BIM models can specify the number of cabinet fixtures, lighting fixtures, countertops, legs, handles, grommets, drawer pulls, equipment mounts, etc.
- BIM models host a large amount of other details, showing how elements fit in a space.
- BIM modelling is especially useful for space analysis in large retail spaces, such as department stores or malls.
- Square footage and lists of fixtures and furniture, with dimensions, can be clearly represented.
- A 3D view can be developed that shows the potential interaction of objects.
- BIM models are important for the creation of rendered images, which include fittings, wall finishes, laminates and furniture, and are used for design approvals.
- Photorealistic renderings can have brighter colours, accurate lighting and shading, precise representation of materials, finishes, fixtures and furnishings.
The use of 3D renderings is especially beneficial to retail concept design for the following reasons:
- Realistic representation of spaces
- Allows viewing and approving new sites
- Easy and fast to create
- Used in marketing and project approvals
- Showcasing the basic layout of a retail space to plan a specific customer path, including the width of walkways – wide enough for shopping carts and people
- Renders can also be used as planograms – images/maps created to decide where to place merchandise for maximum benefit while considering lighting and shelving.
In addition, 3D BIM modelling, drafting and rendering can be useful to obtain executive approvals for new sites and for decision-making purposes. Here’s why:
- BIM models provide a more complete design, while 3D rendering shows the project concept.
- Well-designed renders can show interiors clearly, helping to determine placement and dimensions of furniture, flooring, wall finishes and coverings and can be included in brochures and other promotional material.
- Multiple views through 3D BIM modelling can help decision-making and drawing extraction from BIM models.
- 3D models cost less to create than physical models, and virtual models can be shared with more project stakeholders.
- BIM models can be easily edited for customer requirements.
Effective architectural drafting and modelling for retail design drawings, 3D BIM modelling, 3D architectural visualisation services and other BIM modelling services are crucial for retail success. These services require in-depth technical knowhow and years of experience with the relevant software in the BIM environment, such as Revit BIM. Changes become easy to make, and multiple views and retail design drawings can be generated for more informed decision-making. Increasing, the skills needed to provide these much-needed services are found overseas, leading to trusted BIM outsourcing partners.
XS CAD has valuable experience providing retail store design and BIM modelling services for architects and retailers. Our range of services for structural, architectural and building engineering firms, such as consultants and contractors across the world, include 3D architectural visualisation services, Revit BIM, 3D modelling for stores and retail rendering. We have proven to be a preferred BIM outsourcing partner, due to the high quality of our 3D models, created by using Revit, AutoCAD, and BIM Collaborate Pro for cloud collaboration.