Why Outsourcing Revit Drawings Makes Perfect Sense
In a constantly changing world, the methodologies and technologies of creating buildings are keeping pace with other lifestyle changes as efficiently as possible. As architects progress to creating virtual building models, MEP professionals have upgraded their skills regarding coordination and clash detection of building services. Effective communication is important to deliver construction drawings, models and find clashes, using different software tools, such as Revit, to achieve these results. The growing need for technically qualified, experienced and cost-effective professionals to provide architectural design drafting means that Western firms are increasingly considering architectural CAD outsourcing services for the creation of Revit drawings.
The move to integrate BIM technologies in construction design by Western governments means that the creation of models and drawings are now of paramount importance. Models can be used to create Revit drawings, which can then be used to improve the process, quality and communication needs of a building project. Efficiency, accuracy, speed and reduction of costs have resulted from new software tools that enable collaboration, automation and communication.
One of the major challenges to implementing these changes lies in finding qualified architectural personnel who can execute all the required architectural services. Another challenge is ensuring that the organisation concerned has the required infrastructure or technologies for these services. When this is not possible, outsourcing architectural services, particularly the development of Revit drawings, is a favoured option. Qualified outsourced engineers have provided several architectural services, such as:
- Architectural Drafting and Detailing – where architectural drawings are converted into Revit models and then construction/working drawings, helping to archive and retrieve files.
- 3D Renderings – detailed images show textures, light and other features in commercial and residential settings
- Modelling – Revit can be used as part of the BIM process to deliver a holistic view and design validation of the project. Changes are possible at the design stage, and collaboration with clients, designers, suppliers and contractors is enabled.
One of the concerns that firms sometimes have with outsourced companies is that Revit services are delivered at a slow speed. It is pertinent to understand why this may be so. There are a few reasons.
Typically, when a Revit model is created, many systems are engaged. If one of those systems performs slowly for any reason, the entire process in Revit is slowed down. Using BIM technology reduces most manual design work and enables collaboration, ultimately resulting in greater productivity and cost efficiency. The Revit BIM software has been created specifically for BIM and facilitates the designing of models and the use of cloud computing to share data with all project stakeholders. Generally, using Revit helps firms waste less time with manual tasks, reduces paperwork and increases the cost efficiency of the project. At times, a glitch in any part of the BIM process may slow down the entire process.
Another challenge with offshore outsourcing is communication. English and American accents can be difficult to understand sometimes by native English speakers, and it can be even more difficult for non-native English speakers to understand. Non-native English speakers may even follow the sentence structure of their own languages while speaking in English. In addition, misunderstandings are possible due to slang usage. Differences in cultural nuances may exist between Western natives and people of other countries. For instance, in the US, silence generally implies comprehension, whereas it can be the opposite in other parts of the world. This can lead to many number of miscommunications, resulting in rework and delays.
In addition to verbal communication, there is also the issue of communication technology, such as VoIPs (Voice of Internet Protocol), which frequently result in garbled speech and breakdowns. There may even be delay between speaking and hearing, all of which lead to further delays in the architectural design process , such as creating Revit drawings, etc.
Some of the ways that these challenges in delivering quality Revit drawings can be avoided are as follows:
- Daily/Weekly Meetings – Frequent or regular meetings help reduce communication issues. With a clear agenda and other details in place, the process could be regularised, resulting in fewer delays.
- Online Project Management Tool – All communication occurs through an online tool. Using tools, such as BIM 360 Design, Google Docs, spreadsheets, fields, etc., makes the process more efficient.
- Guidelines to Develop Requirements – One long phone call at the beginning of the project can clear any doubts and establish guidelines to make sure everyone understands the requirements and detailed scope of the project.
Partnering with reliable service providers offers certain key benefits.
- Work can be completed on time without compromising on drawing quality.
- Facilitates meeting sudden hikes in demand – there is no need to hire more people to complete the required tasks
- Enables companies to focus on core competencies
- Reduces the operational costs – smaller office spaces and fewer in-house employees result from outsourcing, saving costs on office space, furniture and tools, electricity and employee benefits.
- Faster turn-around time – outsourcing to vendors in different time zones means that when one office closes, another one somewhere is opening and finishing the tasks.
When there is a focused effort to use BIM technologies, proper communication tools and an established workflow in dealings with outsourced companies, architectural or Revit drafting services, such as the development of Revit drawings, can be outsourced with confidence. Some outsourcing companies may even offer the services of a dedicated offshore CAD team. Ultimately, with the right offshore partner and an organised set of protocols, outsourced drafting services, including Revit drawings, can be a cost-effective, efficient and trustworthy option for Western firms.