8 December 2020
MEP Design for Modern Educational Institutes
Most modern schools and universities offer Internet and free Wi-Fi facilities to their students and accept class work sourced from the Internet. Today’s educational institutes have integrated the use of computers, tablets and other ICT (information and communications technology) devices with intelligent best practices to enable Internet-based learning. These systems need to be cyber-secure, have constant power and be regularly upgraded.
Internet access is available for faculty and students in:
- Computer laboratories for programmes in the syllabus
- Computer centres for learning, projects, seminars and research
- College campus, dormitories or hostels
Electrical and mechanical engineering design services for educational institutes need to carefully consider Internet needs for uninterrupted connectivity.
Using glass in educational institutes can provide additional dining space, improve building aesthetics and transform dark, unused spaces into light and lively social and dining spaces.
- Glazed structures can be more economical than traditional builds.
- Glass entrance canopies are attractive and functional.
- Glass canopies create warmth and provide shelter from weather, increase light penetration and can be durable.
- Glass in school design encourages cooperation, improves student performance and saves energy costs.
- Strategic placement and use of glass helps protect students and improves school security.
- Glazing offers clear vision between spaces, creating openness and connectivity.
It is important that MEP design services consider the use of glass in the building for its effect on heating and cooling loads.
Effective Use of Light
Studies show that bright spaces help students comprehend and learn faster and improves teacher morale. Clever use of natural light significantly reduces energy costs through effective MEP engineering design.
- MEP designers and architects maximise light entering windowless spaces to ease temperature control.
- Solar control glazing can reduce heat penetration into classrooms.
- Glazing has contributed to higher energy savings and improved student performance.
Reducing Energy Costs
Modern MEP design services try to save energy costs by using glass in educational institutes.
Sunlight entering the classroom can be controlled by aligning rooms to face the south, minimising artificial aids.
Light shelves, interior reflective surfaces, tinted glass, reflective glass, low-e coatings, insulated glass and interior shading devices can minimise solar heat gain. Photovoltaic glazing converts sunlight into electricity, while students enjoy beautiful views and natural light.
Fire-rated and impact-resistant glazing can be used in certain areas, such as:
- Wall partitions
- Interior courtyards
The LEED rating system rewards the design and construction of durable, affordable and environmentally sound practices in buildings. Schools and colleges can earn LEED points by:
- Connecting building occupants with the outdoors through daylight and outside views
- Increasing natural light to reduce connected lighting power density
- Reducing energy consumption of lighting by 50% with daylight controls
- Reducing lighting/cooling loads by smart site design and using reflective materials
- Using windows that can be opened
- Using the right glazing in walls, roofs, corridors and stairwells
Trends in college campus design include providing:
- Large, multi-use centres for dining, relaxing, recreation, shopping, exercising, reading, studying in groups or as individuals and socialising
- Health and wellness centres, with healthy food, fitness and recreation facilities and equipment
- Lounge and study areas with projectors, whiteboards and presentation tools, which also can connect to dormitories
- Updated computer and audio-visual technology throughout the campus
Educational institutes require high-quality design and MEP services to facilitate these changes. Firms require high-quality MEP design services from partners who are well qualified, reliable and well versed with the local codes and regulations of the areas where schools and colleges are coming up and are constantly learning to keep up with the changing trends.
XS CAD has valuable experience providing MEP design services for MEP engineers, building owners, and design consultants. Our range of services for structural, architectural and building engineering firms, such as consultants and contractors across the world, include BIM MEP services, MEP drafting, MEP modelling and MEP coordination. We create these models and drawings by using Revit, AutoCAD, Navisworks, Camel, DIALux, and BIM 360 Design for cloud collaboration.