How Hevacomp Improves Building Design
Anything and everything can be improved, and when it comes to improving building design, software tools that offer accuracy, versatility, ease and speed are sure to find popularity. Hevacomp is one such entity that has come into its own, especially in the BIM (Building Information Modelling) environment. As BIM service providers across the world strive to improve the quality of their output and add value to their services, using Hevacomp to raise the bar in building services design is fast becoming a key ingredient to the mix of software options on offer. Trusted building services design consultants will be able to exploit its many features efficiently to provide rich results.
What do these features consist of?
The main features of Hevacomp are listed according to electrical, mechanical or simulation aids, such as:
Hevacomp Electrical Designer
- Designs electrical systems
- Analyses and assigns sizes to cables
- Designs lighting systems
Hevacomp Mechanical Designer
- Calculates heating load for the building
- Calculates cooling load for the building
- Complies with U.K. regulations
- Assigns sizes to pipes, ducts in the mechanical system
- Designs mechanical services
Hevacomp Dynamic Simulation
- Analyses energy consumption in the entire building
- Follows EnergyPlus industry-standard
- Integrates with data of the building’s mechanical services
Some of the key benefits of Hevacomp are the EnergyPlus feature, simple processes for simulations, the Building Electrical Design module and the Building Mechanical Design module.
EnergyPlus is a global standard dynamic simulation engine for precise energy and building analysis. Accurate building simulations can be generated quickly and easily while maintaining compliance with the United Kingdom’s building regulations.
Simple Processes for Simulations
A single 3D model can be used to make calculations and create complicated building simulations, thus making lengthy processes, such as re-entering data easier and faster. The model also helps create accurate energy simulations by using a weather database that covers 7,000 global locations.
Building Electrical Design Module
This module helps users design and analyse a building’s electrical systems. This module offers easy solutions and has an extensive database with source data, luminaire and protective devices, which can be used even for high-performance and complex electrical systems. The module offers capabilities to create extensive and customised reports to accurately present BIM plans. It also provides advanced lightning features that can help present the complete visibility of lighting levels on surfaces inside 3D rooms, from any angle. Designing with this module helps maintain the safety of electrical wiring in domestic, commercial and industrial buildings. This module helps create more electricity-efficient designs to save on capital investment and energy expenses.
Building Mechanical Design Module
This module helps users accurately analyse building load and make accurate energy calculations with a comprehensive calculation methodology. The module also offers a wide range of reports and tools for load calculations, duct and pipe sizing, etc.
Hevacomp can be used to accurately model a building with its several useful features.
How does it work?
- Hevacomp can be used to create a 3D model of the building which displays accurate dimensions, orientation, location and materials for walls, windows, doors, floors and ceilings.
- The model is used to run calculation programs that accurately simulate a fully occupied, empty or half-occupied building, considering the season, time of day, weather and materials data.
- Mechanical and electrical components in the building can be analysed, such as solar panels, lighting fixtures and power consumption.
Once the data is entered into the program, several calculations can be made.
For instance, programs for mechanical systems calculations include:
- Heat Loss – The thermal conductivity of building materials can be used to calculate how much heat will flow in and out throughout the year. These calculations can be used to determine the heating (radiator and boiler sizes) and cooling (ventilation and air conditioning) requirements.
- Simulation – Simulations can be run to allow the designer to make informed decisions on the required heating and cooling strategy, showing fast results of any changes that would typically take many repetitive calculations.
- Pipework – Pipework systems can be designed from the 3D model for cold and hot water supplies, considering all bends, valves and outlets. Thus, the designer can choose the most efficient pumps and other required equipment.
- Ductwork – Ductwork for ventilation and air conditioning can also be designed from the 3D model, considering all bends, vents and filters, so that suitable fans and grilles can be chosen.
- Chimney design, radiator selection (using supplier databases), acoustics and detailed U-Value settings can also be calculated.
For the electrical system calculations, programs include:
- Nimbus – linked to suppliers lists of products, facilitates accurate and efficient lighting design. With the 3D visualisation module, results can be presented at any angle.
- Connect – a cable sizing tool that helps designers specify the proper cable size, considering the power in adjacent cables, room temperatures and the length of run. The cable sizing is determined to meet British Standard 7671 and is safe for domestic and commercial installations.
- Hevacomp’s EnergyPlus is a dynamic simulation software that analyses the whole building’s mechanical and electrical services according to international standards for dynamic simulation. For instance, multiple room lighting results can be presented with individual lights both switched on or off.
Advantages of Using Hevacomp
- Hevacomp’s Building Mechanical Design module uses a simple and comprehensive calculation method to precisely analyse building load and energy calculations.
- It has an extensive database of tools and reports, such as features for pipe and duct sizing, load calculations and accessing materials and weather data.
- It features government-led calculation techniques that show Part L, EPC (Energy Performance Certificates) and SAP (Standard Assessment Procedure) compliance.
- Most of the output is in a data format, including list of numbers, 3D coloured images and certificates.
The data generated requires the honed engineering interpretation skills of experienced building services design consultants, who can use the generated calculations and information to create a detailed and functional design. These reliable M&E design consultants can provide accurate MEP BIM services from any global location to help improve building design. In fact, many Western firms are turning to MEP consultants in India to deliver these design and drafting services for their high quality and cost effectiveness.
XS CAD has valuable experience as a BIM service provider, delivering MEP BIM services for MEP (M&E) contractors, M&E design consultants and fabricators. Our range of services for structural, architectural and building engineering firms, such as building services design consultants and contractors across the world, include design and drafting services, MEP drafting, MEP modelling and MEP coordination. We create these models and drawings by using Revit, AutoCAD, Hevacomp, Navisworks, and BIM 360 Design for cloud collaboration.